MY husband Raff and I have long eliminated red meat from our diet. We’re fish and seafood eaters, and one of the go-to fish recipes that I turn to when preparing our meals is this Fish Fillet in Tausi Sauce. This dish comes in several different versions—purely Fish Fillet, Fish Fillet with Tofu, Fish Fillet with Bell Pepper, Fish Fillet and Tofu with Carrots and Bell Pepper, to name a few.
It is up to you what version you want to make or you can alternate them when you cook so that there will be variety. This recipe has everything in it. If you do not like bell pepper or onion, or think that tofu with the fish fillet will suffice, you can just omit.
Fish Fillet and Tofu in Tausi Sauce
1 big block tofu, cut into big cubes
1/2 kg. fish fillet (cream dory), cut into serving sizes
salt and pepper to taste
flour or cornstarch for dredging
2 Tbsps. oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pc. thumb-sized ginger, cut into sticks
1/2 pc. small carrot, peeled and sliced thinly
2 Tbsps. tausi (fermented black beans in bottle), drained
1/4 cup button mushrooms, halved
1-2 Tbsps. soy sauce
1 cup water
slurry (1 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1 Tbsp. water)
1/2 pc. green bell pepper, seeds and pith removed, diced
1. Season tofu with salt, and fry in hot oil until crisp and golden.
2. Remove from oil, drain off excess oil on paper towel. Set aside.
3. Season fish fillet with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour or cornstarch.
4. Fry in the oil used for cooking the tofu.
5. Remove from oil, drain off excess oil on paper towel. Set aside.
6. Heat 2 Tbsps. oil in wok or pan. Sauté garlic and ginger.
7. Add carrots and tausi.
8. Add button mushrooms.
9. Season with soy sauce.
10. Pour in water.
11. Thicken sauce by adding in slurry, then mix.
12. Put back fried tofu and fish fillet.
13. Add diced green bell pepper. Simmer until liquid is reduced and thickens to sauce consistency.
• For more recipes and food stories, check the author’s blog Flavors of Life.