Top diplomat Locsin’s tweet: ‘China, my friend… get the f*** out’

May 3, 2021 - 2:58 PM
1695
Teodoro Locsin Jr.
Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. in an undated file photo by the Philippine News Agency

Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin on Monday, May 3 demanded in an expletive-laced message on Twitter that China’s vessels get out of disputed waters, marking the latest exchange in a war of words with Beijing over its activities in the South China Sea.

The comments by Locsin, known for making blunt remarks at times, follow Manila’s protests for what it calls the “illegal” presence of hundreds of Chinese boats inside the Philippines 200-mile Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).

“China, my friend, how politely can I put it? Let me see… O…GET THE FUCK OUT,” Locsin said in a tweet on his personal account.

Locsin expletive laden tweet
Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr.’s tweet dated May 3, 2021. (Screenshot by Interaksyon)

“What are you doing to our friendship? You. Not us. We’re trying. You. You’re like an ugly oaf forcing your attentions on a handsome guy who wants to be a friend; not to father a Chinese province…”, Locsin said.

Locsin expletive laden tweet
Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr.’s tweet dated May 3, 2021. (Screenshot by Interaksyon)

China’s embassy in Manila did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Chinese officials have previously said the vessels at the disputed Whitsun Reef were fishing boats taking refuge from rough seas.

China claims almost the entire South China Sea, through which about $3 trillion of ship-borne trade passes each year. In 2016, an arbitration tribunal in The Hague ruled the claim, which Beijing bases on its old maps, was inconsistent with international law.

In a statement on Monday, the Philippine foreign ministry accused China’s coast guard of “shadowing, blocking, dangerous maneuvers, and radio challenges of the Philippine coast guard vessels.”

Philippine officials believe the Chinese vessels are manned by militia.

On Sunday, the Philippines vowed to continue maritime exercises in its EEZ in the South China Sea in response to a China demand that it stop actions it said could escalate disputes.

As of April 26, the Philippines had filed 78 diplomatic protests to China since President Rodrigo Duterte took office in 2016, foreign ministry data shows.

“Our statements are stronger too because of the more brazen nature of the activities, the number, frequency and proximity of intrusions,” Marie Yvette Banzon-Abalos, executive director for strategic communications at the foreign ministry, said.

Duterte for the most part has pursued warmer ties with China in exchange for Beijing’s promises of billions of dollars in investment, aid and loans.

While the Philippine leader still considers China “a good friend”, he said last week: “There are things that are not really subject to a compromise.” — Neil Jerome Morales and Karen Lema Editing by Ed Davies and Neil Fullick